Tuesday, April 27, 2010

21 days to a new habit ...



The reason we do everything we do now is due to habit. A learned way to do things. We've become accustomed to doing them. We learned them consciously and they took practice to become a habit. Now, we realize we've learned habits that have negative effects. The habits I've learned and adapted into my daily life, some positive, some negative need a bit of revamping. It will be too overwhelming to change too much too soon.

Over the course of the next 21 days I will focus on 1 change. My purpose is to make conscious decisions in every area of my life. April 27th - May 17th (3 weeks, 21 days) I commit to being conscious about my decisions. From getting out of bed, to planning my day, to what to eat, where to go ... they all effect the life I want to be living.

You may hear me reference the Psychology of Achievement by Brian Tracy in the next 21 days. It's a bit of a guide for achievement of my goals. One of the key points to the process is the law of cause and effect. 'Thoughts are causes and conditions are effects'. In order to change the effects (excess weight) I must change my causes (unhealthy diet, lack of exercise). In order to change the causes I must change my thoughts. Thoughts are causes and conditions are effects.

I will be making a conscious decision, in all areas of my life. I will be documenting it ... all of it ... the good bad and ugly.

Integrity Daily

4 comments:

M said...

This is a wonderful goal. Being aware and making decisions has changed my life. Good luck!

Nikki Bond said...

Sounds great. The 21 days thing is so true. I didn't really realize it until I was passed that point, and I just woke up thinking to myself "what will I do for exercise today?" or "what kind of fruit/veggie is there to eat?" These things have definitely become habits.

Certifiably Fit said...

Happened to wonder over here from another blog and thought I would check things out. Like what I see so now I'm following you. Look forward to reading your blog in the future.

This post outlines some great things about new habits.

If you get a chance swing by my blog and say hello.

Integrity Daily said...

Thanks for your support ladies! I'm just about to post results for day 1. Please offer any feedback, it's so important. I enjoy the new challenges.